Love your Hot Cross Buns? Did you know in one large bakery Hot Cross Bun there are 275 calories and 1125 kilojoules! You can still enjoy your Hot Cross Buns with this healthy home cooked recipe.
- 3 cups of gluten free flour mix (or 1 ½ cup almond meal with 1 ½ cup brown rice flour)
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 cup dried fruit (you can use your favourites such as ½ cup currants & ½ cup sultanas)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs (or flax / chia seed egg)
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
(Click on the ingredients to add them to your cart)
- Preheat oven to 180° and line and grease a 12 cup muffin tray.
- Soak dried fruit, drain then pat dry.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Combine wet ingredients
- Combine both dry and wet ingredients.
- Sift 1/2 cup of brown rice flour into a bowl and add 1/4 cup of water, mix to form a paste. You may need to add a touch more water to make the mixture a thick, but still fluid consistency. Fill into a small ziplock bag and then cut a hole across the corner. Use this to pipe crosses onto the top of each bun before baking.
- Divide mixture between muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes.